Monday, January 02, 2006

On the first workshop group I took to Cuba we flew through Nassau. Had enough free time to have conch fritters for lunch and then back to board our Air Cubana YAK-42, I think the 42 represented its age! There are no seat assignments, all the Cubans run to the plane to claim a "good seat." As a consequence, I was in the last row of the plane. It lumbered down the runway and just as the concrete was running out, it lifted off. The outside air and AC share the same ventilation system. As the plane descends to land, the hot humid tropical air rushes into the plane's cabin and immediately condenses because of the low temperature-it makes fog. It looks as if the entire fuselage is beginning to smoke! I knew about this, but it surely scared several of the students. All of them joined in with the Latin tradition of a round of applause after a good landing.

1 comment:

Henry Louis Gomez said...

Great photo. I work with a guy that came over 10 years ago and he told me about this phenomon but I had never seen it.