Monday, January 30, 2006

"372"

I made this photo walking around in Cerro one Saturday morning several years ago. All three kids were playing in the street. I started talking to them, they were not afraid of me, but they were a bit put off by a camera on a tripod. I have found that in Cuba taking pictures is as an excellent way to get to know folks. Most have no objection, many even like to have pictures made, especially if you can give them one. I use a polaroid back to do this. Occasionally someone will want to be paid. I understand this, but don't do it. This sort of thing has become more widespread in the past few years as the number of tourists has increased. I have on occasion hired models and of course l paid them for their time and effort. In this photo, the old car is more of a prop than the subject. I like that, although I have seen photos of the old cars that were beautiful "car pictures."

No comments: