Thursday, December 29, 2005


I like this photo because it has hope. I find that I frequently am photographing stairs or light coming from above. I did an entire series of photos that combined the old decaying buildings of Habana Vieja with attractive young women. I thought this somehow captured my hope for the country. The younger people who aspire to a better life for themselves and their families climbing out of the decay of the past 20-30 years. Clearly the Revolution was a good thing. I am not sure that all of the politics that went with it were in Cuba's best interest, but I understand that there was little reason to believe that the US had anything much to offer based on its prior history. I dcon't look for anything good to happen in the next several years in the attitude of our current administration toward Cuba. Things might change once it is clear what Jeb's political ambitions are. If he opts out of a Presidential run in the forseeable future, then the need to pander to the South Florida Cuban Americans will diminish and their influence will lessen. Let's hope so. We have had too many Bushies already.

No comments: