Monday, March 31, 2008


I met this woman in Bauta, a small village about 40 km from Havana. She was asking us for a ride back to Havana. Since space was limited, we had to turn her down. While we were talking she said that she worked in Havana. I asked her what her job was, and she answered, "I am an asker." I did not understand so I asked Roberto to explain it to me. "She stands in the Plaza at the Cathedral and asks people for things," he said. "Oh, you mean she is a beggar?" I answered. "Well, yes, I suppose you could say that," was the answer. I met several other interesting people in Bauta including a local photographer. I thought about it for awhile and realized that there are not near so many beggars on the streets as one encounters in other Latin American Countries. One is constantly hounded in Mexico. In fact, I think they are fewer in Havana than in Washington, DC.

No comments: