Sunday, February 03, 2013


Both of these portrait shots were made outside the Cathedral in Regla. It was a bright, crisp morning and many people were stirring about. I like both of these images because of the intensity that shows in the profiles of the faces. According to Carl Sandburg, "The real story is in the faces." Older people have expressive faces. One can see the lines of worry, the scars of experience, and often the kindness within. It is infrequent that a person in Cuba will refuse to let you make their picture.  I purchased a portrait once in an art gallery in Richmond VA. Later I met the person who had posed for the portrait and she asked why I bought it. I told her, "I liked it and I wanted it." "Why,' was the response, 'You don't know me?" I simply repeated,  "I liked it and I wanted it." The only reason I know of to purchase art.

No comments: