Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cathederal San Lazaro


Lazaro is the saint for the infirm  and the downtrodden. This beautiful small cathedral is about 15 miles from Havana just past Boyeros. The best day to visit is on Saturday for there are many more people and their are vendors selling all sorts of things plus a small market. When we went the entire church was decorated for Christmas. Many were there, praying, lighting candles, and visiting. It was not a somber atmosphere at all, and each time I've visited, I'm struck that it seems a more joyful place than many other cathedrals which are very quite and almost tomb-like in their overwhelming silence. We were respectful in making photos and the people did not seem to mind at all.
Most of the Cuban people are kind and friendly toward US citizens. They see the arguments at a higher governmental level and not at a personal level. One of the students wrote in their evaluation of the trip:
“It has given me a whole new insight on the impact of the trade embargo with Cuba […], it helped me to reevaluate everything that I had originally accepted as facts of life and to see how I could change things.”

I think that accomplishing this is the purpose of educational travel. It helps everyone.
 

No comments: