Sunday, June 11, 2006

Bosque de Habana

This forested area along the bank of the Almendares river is a gorgeous park. There are large tropical trees, beautiful plants and ferns, and the sound of the river flowing to the sea. As one walks through the park the remnants of Santeria ceremonies and animal sacrifices are encountered. I don't think I would want to be in the park after dark, but in the daytime it is beautiful. Unfortunately it suffers the fate of many nice things in Cuba-no maintenance. It is littered, unclean, and has virtually no facilities for the people. I have missed my annual trip to Cuba this year. First time in 6 years I haven't been there for at least a couple of weeks. When I reflect on how much I miss it, I can't imagine the effect having left Cuba and friends behind would have on oneself. It must be a profoundly deep and painful thing to experience.

No comments: